Monday, July 19, 2010

jpop Review- Momoe Yamaguchi- Akai Desetsu




Momoe Yamaguchi is the legendary godess of jpop. She was one of the earliest idols. She released a string of hit singles and albums and retired gracefully at the peak of her popularity to be impressed as the godess of jpop in the mind of the japanese. She married Tomokazu Miura, her frequent costar. She is one of the most covered artists in japanese history.

Before purchasing this album, I had heard many of her songs like Sayonara no mukogawa, Imitation Gold, Cosmos, Rock and roll widow, Playback part2. etc. This album contained all those songs and was available at seventeen dollars at yesasia. So, I decided to buy it. It has eighteen tracks.

The first track is written in japanese so, I can't read it. It is an average enka song and I guess one of Momoe's earlt songs since her voice is childish.
4.5/5

Cosmos- Her favourite ballad. One of her emotional songs. I love it. The autumn atmosphere is also remarkable.
4.7/5

I skip tracks 3-7 because the album is too long and I don't have the time to listen to all the tracks. However, some of these tracks are very good.

Playback- This is the eighth track. I love her uptempo songs. This has more speaking parts than singing parts. This is a great song!
4.8/5

Sayonara no mukougawa- This was the last track she sung at her last concert. Momoe was looking cute crying with those white flowers on her head. It is again, a very good song. I like it very much.
4.8/5

This is my trial- This song has only one verse that is repeated indefinitely.
4.2/5

Iihi Tabidachi- This song is one of her songs that are covered frequently. It is slow and the instrumental is not very good.
4.2/5

Yumesaki annanin- A pleasant sounding song. Nothing special.
4/5

Imitation Gold- One of my favourite songs by her. The chorus is strong.
4.8/5

Rock n' roll widow- Her experiment at singing rock. She does the scream singing pretty well. I like this one too.
4.7/5

Manjushaka- It is my favourite song. The chorus is conveyed powerfully.
4.8/5

Ichi e- Her last single. Sounds very much like Sayonara no mukougawa.
4.6/5

I can't read this japanese title- This is really nostalgic. The 'hiru hiru' at the beginning is pleasant. Sounds like a spring song. Mostly japanese instruments are used it this track that give it a unique feel. If anyone knows the name of this track please tell me. I love it!
4.7/5

Fuyu no iro- I'm not sure that is the title. Maybe it is Izu no odoriko. One of those. It is another of her old songs. Her voice sounds childish. The song is not very long.
4.5/5

Overall, I would strongly recommend this album. Momoe is one of the best japanese artists and everyone ought to give her a try. This album has great replay value and Momoe's voice sounds fresh after thousands of listens.

Overall- 4.8/5

No comments:

Post a Comment