It's been a long time since there has been any j-pop related article on Review Carnival. I have been listening to quite a few songs these days. I have compiled a list of j-pop songs based on deep, meaningful and heart-warming lyrics. These are only my personal preferences. Here's the list (in no particular order)-
1. Tokyo by YUI- Tokyo is a mellow and contemplative song with some very philosophical lyrics. The melody is haunting and nostalgic. I fell in love with it in the first listen.
FAVORITE LINES (with english translation)-
Kotae wo sagasu no wa mou yameta
Machigai darake de ii
I have stopped looking for answers
It's okay to keep making mistakes
Tadashi koto bakari erabenai
Sore kurai wakateru
I can't always choose the right things
That much I know
2. Sen no Kaze ni Natte (I am the thousand winds that blow) - This beautiful operatic ballad has already been reviewed on Review Carnival. Just to remind you of the beautiful lyrics
FAVORITE LINES- I like all the lines, but here are some of teh more beautiful ones.
Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there I did not sleep
I am in the thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints on snow
I am the sunlight that ripens grain
I am the gentle autmn rain
.....Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there, I did not die
3. Brave Heart by Miyazaki Ayumi- This was used in Digimon. The lyrics are all about never giving up. The song is very energetic, too. Hard-core digimon fams might recognize it as the first season evolution/battle song.
FAVORITE LINES (Translation by Animelyrics.net)-
Not every day is sunny, so sometimes
Even though a cold rain is falling, just open your umbrella
4. I Wish by Ai Maeda- Another digimon song, this time the ending of the first season. I am sure a lot of people remember this song. It is a slow pop ballad.
FAVORITE LINES (trabslation from Anime lyrics)-
When I wish on a star, with my pride on the wind
I'll surely be able to see a tomorrow that can't be erased by today...
I'm shivering with the cold, so I cover my arms with a jacket
Before I know it, it becomes transparent
And turns into hope
5. Konayuki (Powder snow) by Remioromen- This is a wonderful rock ballad. The lead singer's voice conveys the raw emotion flawlessly, even though it is a bit flat at times.
If we can't be honest with each other
Both happiness and sadness are empty
6. Decision by Ayumi Hamasaki- I could personally relate to the lyrics which are about independence and accepting oneself. The song is also a very aggressive, rock-opera track.
FAVORITE LINES (translation by Kiwi Musume)-
Yes, I'm going
Not turning back, not running away
I'll walk with my head up
I wonder if one day
That I have no choice
But to keep being myself
7. Sakura no Ki no Narou (I want to become a Charry tree) by AKB48- It's probably the most heartfelt song AKB48 has prodced till date. It's about friendship. The song is a slow piano/strings ballad. The chorus feel provided by the multiple voices is unique.
FAVORITE LINES (translation by kiwi-musume)-
Come back alone sometimes
To the empty schoolyard
You’ll be able to meet
The shining person you were
The day you graduated
If your heart ever loses its way,
I'll be standing here, showing you where love is
Even when all my flowers have fallen
My branches will be outstretched, waiting for you
8. Sekai ni Hitotsu Dake no Hana (The only flower of it's kind in the world) by SMAP- THis is a classic optimistic Johnny song by legendary group SMAP.
FAVORITE LINES (translation from kiwi-musume)-
You don’t need to be number one
You’re special, the only one of you, to begin with
There are people whose smiles are strained
Because they’re completely lost
But it doesn’t matter
Because every flower that’s worked so hard to grow is beautiful
9. Eternal Snow by Changin my Life- Myself is a sad-sounding acoustic/strings/piano ballad used in Full Moon wo Sagashite. It has a unique wintry feel to it.
The feeling of falling in love with someone- I never wanted to know that feeling
Like the slowly falling snow, my feelings are piling up
Higher and Higher
10. To Mother by YUI- This is YUI's first song in which she plays the piano. It was release don Mother's Day.
Sadness, somehow becomes warmer
When we cuddle up together
Hapiness, it's probably
Because I had you